[Sticky] Grounding Technique 5-4-3-2-1 Helps with Anxiety & Disassociation (Depersonalisation)
To ground yourself using the 5-4-3-2-1 method, try this:
- Look for 5 things you can see, and say out loud "I see the window", "I see a cup" etc
- Look for 4 things you can feel, and say out loud "I can feel my hands on my legs", "I can feel how soft the cushions are", "I can feel how warm my feet are" etc
- Listen for 3 things you can hear, and say out loud "I can hear the cars outside", "I can hear the kids talking" etc
- Think about 2 things you can smell, and say out loud "I can smell my coffee" and "I can smell my perfume"
- Think about 1 thing you can taste and say it out loud "I can taste my coffee"
This can sound quite silly! But seriously try it. It's a great technique and it really can help. You can run through it more than once if you need to, and don't forget to relax when doing this.