[Sticky] Relaxing Technique
Stress is a huge catalyst for us feeling anxious. A lot of the time we don't even realise we are stressed, or that we're starting to tense up.
When our muscles tense, or breathing naturally becomes quicker, our heart rates increase, leading us to become more tense, and then the vicious cycle begins.....
In one of my counselling sessions I was taught a technique to help me feel more relaxed. I know it might sound silly, but please, give it a try, I promise it works.
1) Start by sitting in a comfortable chair. Don't slouch, sit up straight and sit with your feet together on the floor.
2) You can close your eyes if you want, but you don't have to.
3) Take a deep breath in through your nose, and exhale slowly through your mouth.
4) Now clench your fists as tight as you can, and bring your shoulders up to your ears. Sit like this for a few breaths.
5) Slowly start to let your shoulders drop. Once they are fully down, start to slowly unclench your fists.
Doing this allows you to feel fully relaxed! It also allows you to be more aware of when you're starting to get stressed, as you will be able to recognise when you're shoulders are beginning to rise. Do this a few times a day to start with, then just morning and night, and as needed. I promise this helps!